Sports in the USA are in major, MAJOR trouble due to suspensions, cheating AND ETC not being handled right. I have had the perfect idea how to fix this for a while now. Here it is: (NOTE: Please donate at Cashapp: TopSportsMind to keep my amazing content coming!)
The way to do it is I would create a INDEPENDENT company NOT AFFILIATED WITH ANY SPORTS LEAGUE funded by the sports leagues front offices that would take over things such as suspensions, rule changes, Playoff changes, AND ETC. This would be comprised of the following:
- A committee combined 25 players, coaches, retired players, refs, and such from the teams. Same 5 current players, 5 former players, 5 current coaches, 5 Current GM’s/Team Presidents, 5 members of the League Front office personnel. There would be 5 additional alternates for each committee.
- No team’s coach, Player, or ETC, NO person affiliated with a team or player at all could vote on any suspension or ETC. For example no person having anything to do wit the Houston Astros from 2016 on would be allowed to vote on their punishments. Also if say a Yankees Employee or player was the accuser of the Astros cheating the Yankees rep if on the committee would recuse himself and a alternate off a different team would vote in his stead.
- One of the 25 people on the committee would be chosen as the committee chair. Most likely a former/retired player. Say Karl Malone for the NBA, Dan Marino for the NFL and Reggie Jackson for the MLB. Also say Ty Detmer a Heisman winner for the NCAA. They would lead the discussion and get the vote going. 3 members of the committee would count the votes. The Committee chair would do the press release.
- A vote would need 13 to pass. Say Jose Altuve was up for a lifetime ban for the sign stealing cheating. As soon as he got a 13th vote his ban would start. There would be no appealing if a motion gets 15 or more votes.
- A player or tea being punished would be allowed to present its case before the committee as would the league. The league would suggest its punishments as would the players team (If a team punishment only the league.). The opposing teams could give their a well for team or player punishments and the committee then decides the best punishment(s).
- Some committee members as needed could join the discussion, vote, and such by private video feed. Said votes are taken down by the committee chair or a member of the committee selected by the chair. It would take 15+ votes either way to make a punishment unchangeable and final!
- NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE, with any affiliation to any currently political figure would be allowed on such committees! This includes ANYONE in any current political office. Or working with any such person. They can be related to them but not communicate wit them during a hearing.
By doing it this way and taking it out of the leagues hands suspensions will be handled better and be so much more accurate its not even funny. Makes it a independent decision. Give a voice to former players and current ones. Makes it so its a collective thing and not league only.
Lets do a few examples. Lets start with BYU Basketball’s Yoeli Childs. He filed for the NBA draft and was not selected. Ten under new NBA rules returned to BYU. He had no clue he had to file a certain paper t get reinstated and nor did BYU till Childs was suspended out of nowhere. This would go before a college Basketball committee say chaired by say All time great college player Jimmer Fredette for this one. Jimmer player at BYU so runs the meeting but recuses himself from voting and picks one of the alternate committee members to take his vote. Lets say the committee votes 13-12 to suspend Childs. BYU instantly challenges as its wit the challenge window. The Committee holds a 2nd hearing with a time limit of 24 to 48 hours to complete. The hear BYU’s complaint. When they hear Childs was never told about the form or how to file it they then site the NCAA for a false suspension and vacate the vote and Childs suspension in a 20-5 vote.
This is easy stuff! Lets look at another: Aroldis Chapman: He was rationally suspended for hitting his Wife and such but later proven wrong. The committee meets and asks for the police report. Reads it and decides is was bogus and then decides no suspension was warranted in a 23-2 vote and instead issues Chapman a formal warning. If a player or team receives a formal warning its a auto season long suspension up to a lifetime ban depending on the seriousness. For the Astros they get permanently banned same with the Red Sox for a second offense after a commissioners warning. For Chapman its a season long or less as he didn’t actually do anything as 5 witnesses and the police report stated.
One more! Lets look at a college football program and recruiting issues. Say 1 school reports their violations but the other is caught red handed. The one that reported would get a formal warning if thee are no prior violations. For the team that didn’t self report and was caught red handed all sanctions are on the table. We saw a few years ago 2 schools in this situation get identical punishments which is dead wrong.
There are better ways to handle such things then biased leagues controlling it. A independent Sports Firm tat handles them instead makes all the sense in the world. By being independent more just suspensions would happen and player getting suspended for nothing would vanish. It takes pressure off the League offices and commissioners. It solves so many issues. Committees could approve rules changes for the leagues, playoff changes, CFP expansion, and ETC! These committee’s could save the major and NCAA sports! Please make it happen people! I would call it Adam King’s Sports Management Group. They could also handle HOF voting. Player reinstatement voting and ETC to get 1 man’s bias say against Pete Rose out of the picture! Change is needed and this is how!
BY ADAM KING